Recently, Damion and I were traveling for a destination wedding. On the morning of the wedding, (after trying to recover from the unfortunate and embarrassing situation where I brought an early morning breakfast from the cafe back to our room, begged and pleaded at the door and furthermore put my eyeball up to the peephole, wondering why Damion would not let me in….until a sleepy strange man in a robe answered the door…I was at room 574, not my room 674) we were munching down some breakfast, getting ready for the great day ahead, when we stopped and looked at our table and realized that THIS was the perfect snapshot of almost everything that we consider essential for capturing a destination wedding! Now you have to realize that Damion is a very, very neat person. His desk in his office would NEVER look like this! I remember it was probably about 17 years ago when we were “just friends” and I put my bare foot on his car dashboard….he about had a cow! Seriously, you could eat of his engine back then…PRE wife and kids! So, a cream cheese container on his beloved laptop is a VERY rare sight!
First of all, we’ve got the stuff that’s important for PRE-wedding day preparation:
- the white noise machine for getting a good night sleep (no grumpy photogs allowed),
- the VOGUE magazine for fashion and photo inspiration,
- the puzzle book to keep my mind occupied on the airplane ride to the destination(!),
- iphone Charger–never leave home without at least three chargers. We don’t!
Then, we’ve got the things that are important the DAY OF the wedding:
- Some yummy fuel for the day–bagels, fresh fruit, fresh squeezed OJ, cream cheese (they generously gave us 2 each)
- Lip Balm—long work day indoors and outdoors with lots of talking, gotta keep those lips moisturized!
- Woman’s Meds??? Ok, it was just Excedrin Migraine..Headaches must be avoided at all costs on wedding days!
- Allergy Meds–sneezing through the ceremony is never good.
- Photo list and Schedule….gotta get a little study time in to make sure we are on top of what’s going on for the day and who we’re going to photograph!
- Damion’s glasses–they help keep the day in focus
- Lens cloth–no smudges allowed!
Techy stuff for POST wedding:
We always back up our images in as many places as we can as quickly as possible!
- Laptop case–our treasure chest–holds all of our most valuable goods…the images.
- FW800 Card Readers–to offload all 122 Gigs that we captured on that particular day
- 17″ Macbook Pro-VIP of the wedding–backup#1
- 500GB FW800 Hard Drive–backup #2
- TV Remote–for me to relax while Damion works!
What are we missing that you would have???
Keep preparing to be successful!